Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Almost low-sided!


crappy road.jpg, originally uploaded by achung_123.

It happened almost 2 weeks ago, and I finally have time to go back there to revisit what went wrong. All the mud tracks were washed by the passing cars after a few days; but all the sand and gravels were still everywhere by the time I took the picture...

Here is what happened:

The weather was holding up well on the weekend, so I did a quick 'local back road' loop at 3pm. There were still wet spots here and there especially the areas that under shade. There were debris left from the storm 2 days ago; but in general all the road were fairly clean even on Wild Cat Canyon. Everything was in control and nice... until I hit Alhambra (traveling east). Mad tracks were all over road! Almost every turn had something! I slowed down a bit but still hit one of the mud tracks which goes across the road - the worse part was it is the beginning of the left-hand turn! I picked the path had the least amount of dirt but my front still slide - it shaken and washed for 2 times before it gained traction again. By then I was already in the middle of the turn and I was really close to the right shoulder - and I don't even know how I pull it off without crushing into the rock on the right shoulder....

Man... I was almost $hit my pants! Luckily I didn't panic and pull the break - I just let the bike corrected itself. Lesson to learn: SLOW DOWN and LOOK AHEAD!!! Once slowed down the time I gain will help me to do a better judgment of the given road condition....

Yes, I was one lucky dog!

No comments: